If you want an effective way to quickly improve your life and also bring success to it, you should look no further than the practice gratitude meditation which will bring a deep and lasting impact on our well-being.
Steps for Practicing Gratitude Meditation
Gratitude meditation practice can greatly be used to promote a positive mood, hope, and resilience. As we experience positive emotions and thoughts it broadens our creativity and problem-solving capacity blossoms and also the choices we make become more effective in what we do.
In order to practice gratitude meditation, one should be able to follow certain steps for an effective outcome;
- First one needs to find a quiet place where you are aware you will not be disturbed by anything.
- Secondly keep track of time while you are doing the process of meditation, secondly sit in a position where you will be comfortable or you can as well lie in a comfortable area with a support below your knees.
- Thirdly you should try to maintain a soft focus, then take a deep slow breath and bring yourself to the present moment and begin the process of feeling peaceful. After some seconds release the breath with all the tension, fear, worries, irritation, judgment and anger that you might have kept inside, repeat the same process for a better feeling. Now in your mind consider the people who enrich your life also those who put a smile on your face and cheer you up, those who support you when you need a shoulder to lean on for some seconds, then take a moment to reflect on your own reasons of feeling grateful in that moment, you will then find out that there is so much to feel grateful for in that moment this is because gratitude fills our heart and mind an uplifting spirit.
- Lastly as you slowly study your thoughts you will realize that there are more reasons for feeling grateful in life than having negative thoughts and emotions.
Other gratitude meditation practices include keeping a journal of gratitude, this is simply a journal where you write down all the things you are grateful for or one can even write letters to the people you are grateful for. Having a journal is a great and easy way to stay grateful anytime without losing focus on the important things in life.
Ingredients of Happiness
Another thing that can be used to promote gratitude is happiness, happiness is a state of mind that you are able to tap into if you have the right sources, it is a kind of satisfaction and fulfillment in life. Through practicing meditation process we are creating conditions necessary to experience a happy state of mind, in this way we are nurturing four essential supports for the ingredients of happiness including kindness, empathy, playfulness, and inner balance.
It has been discovered that living in fear of happiness is correlated with depression and anxiety, when one is anxious and depressed you might relate to a feeling of uneasiness or even fear surrounding happiness. We should take the time to nurture our minds and become more open to the idea of happiness, by doing this you will be reducing the risk of becoming burdened by anxiety and depression. When one is practicing happiness meditation, one should focus on the present moment which helps escape our negative thoughts and live for the moment.
How to Practice Happiness Meditation
To practice happiness meditation certain steps should be followed:
- First you should get a comfortable relaxing space and sit comfortably then close your eyes and focus your mind then continue breathing for a few minutes.
- Secondly,focus on your breath and thoughts will start arising in your mind, it is not advisable to fight them or repress them, you should simply observe them. As you continue studying your thoughts keep telling yourself that they are only thoughts and are not real which will loosen your grip on your thoughts, this is one of the steps of finding happiness.
- Thirdly, begin to focus slowly on each of your five senses which are; taste, touch, smell, sound and sight and then meditate on your body, continue with this for some time.
- Lastly, open your eyes and keep being mindful and having positive thoughts. This will help you greatly when practicing happiness meditation.
Gratitude also allows you to notice your blessings and create balance from the difficulties you face in life while mindfulness helps you to handle tough times with grace and acceptance. When we are feeling grateful our bodies calm and we feel at peace. Gratitude will help you keep a balanced perspective about life especially when things are difficult in one’s lifetime, it can also take away the struggles of life challenges like heartbreaks, gratitude will try and cover up the pain, through gratitude mindfulness, we may lead to toxic positivity which is a denial that negative events are taking place in your life where one will only be positive with what they do.
Meditate for Happiness
Meditation gives us access to our own happiness and wellbeing. The mind holds innate qualities of wellbeing clarity that lie waiting beneath the superficial level of dissatisfaction. The main purpose of meditation is to access, recognize and enhance the positive qualities of the mind. According to psychology today, meditation is the strongest mental practice that has the power to reset your happiness set point, thus turning you into a more joyful person and literally reviewing major areas in your brain. With daily practice, it does not matter if you believe in the happiness set point or not. Mindfulness can help us feel happier since it increases our level of positive emotions in a number of ways.
When you meditate for happiness, it means that the feel-good chemicals in the brain, oxytocin, dopamine, and serotonin increase after meditation, and levels of the fear and stress chemical and cortisol drop physically. This helps you feel happier, less stressed over time and you will have a positive mindset in everything you do.
Importance of Grateful Meditation
Grateful meditation is simply the practice of reflecting on the things in our lives that we are grateful for, it’s also just experiencing that feeling of appreciation. It shows that gratitude is strongly and consistently associated with a greater sense of happiness and well-being of a person. According to science counting our blessings increase our optimism, relieves depression, improves immune function, lowers blood pressure, and also strengthens our relationship with those around us.
Keeping a gratitude journal, the notebook is one way to take note of and cultivate increased appreciation and happiness about those people, things, and experiences we are grateful for which is a way of practicing grateful meditation. Grateful meditation is another way to express and cultivate an appreciation for the people and things that fills you with a sense of gratitude.
Generally, practicing medication will greatly improve your thoughts and emotions where you will only be having positive thoughts and emotions that will bring you happiness. Practicing meditation also broadens our creativity and problem-solving capacities. Keeping a journal is also a great meditation practice where one can write what they are grateful for.